Public Housing is a government-subsidized program designed to assist communities in providing decent, safe and sanitary housing for families of low to moderate income. HACP provides single family homes, apartments and townhomes throughout the city of Prichard, with a stock of 307 modern public housing units. Currently, our waiting list is closed.
Public housing can be an important step toward assisting families in becoming self-sufficient. It also allows senior citizens and disabled individuals to live independently.
PUBLIC HOUSING BASIC CRITERIA
- Head of Household must be 19 years of age or older (or an emancipated minor) unless married and applying with a spouse who is 19 years or older.
- Family’s total gross annual income cannot exceed HUD-established income limits for participation in the Public Housing Program. Income includes all “countable” income anticipate for the coming year.
Examples of countable income include, but are not limited to:
- Unemployment benefits
- Workmen’s Compensation
- Social Security
- Child Support
- Regular contributions from family or friends
- Family must pass a criminal background check.
- HA will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants.
If you are 62 or older, you may be interested in our Thomas Hurst Community. The apartments are spacious, energy efficient with modern amenities such as central heat and air conditioning, space for washer and dryer, refrigerator, range, microwave and garbage disposal.
There are forty (40) one-bedroom apartments and ten (10) two-bedroom apartments; five (5) apartments have been designed for the disabled/handicapped.
In addition to the on-site office/community room, a Senior Center and a Family life Center is adjacent to the apartments. Both provide a full range of senior services and programs.