Tenant-Based Vouchers

As of May 29, 2014, our regular Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is closed. When the waiting list is open, we advertise in the Mobile Press Register and right here on our website. The advertisement will explain when and where to apply.

If you have submitted an application and want to know the status of your application, visit www.waitlistcheck.com.

Project Based Vouchers

HACP offers project-based assistance at two locations.

Oleander Park Apartments – 7646 Cottage Hill Rd. Mobile, AL

This is an elderly complex. You must be 55 or older to apply. This waiting list is open continuously. You can download an application here and submit it to our office by mail or in person or apply at Oleander Park. If you have already applied and want to know you status, click the link above.

Project-Based Application

Bessemer Phase II –Parsons Dr. Prichard, AL

This site consists of apartments and single family homes for 3 and 4-bedroom families only. This waiting list is currently closed.

If you have submitted an application for either project-based waiting list and want to know the status of your application, visit www.waitlistcheck.com.

Submission of a pre-application does not guarantee families a spot on the wait list.

The Housing Authority of the City of Prichard (HACP) used the random lottery system to select 400 applicants from all pre-applications submitted. The random lottery selection has been completed. Selected pre-applications were placed on the wait list in the order determined by the random lottery.

You may go to waitlistcheck.com to find out if your pre-application was selected.  To check your status you will need your social security number and date of birth.  Selected families will have an assigned number. Families not selected will have N/A assigned.

It is especially important that selected applicants update any change of address.  Selected applicants can update a mailing address through waitlistcheck.com.

HACP will only contact you by regular USPS mail.


What is HCV - Section 8?

HCV is a rental assistance program to assist low-income families in the private rental market by paying a portion of their rent.

How can I participate?

You must apply when applications are being accepted. Your name is placed on a waiting list. Once you reach the top of the waiting list, you will be called in for eligibility determination. At least one family member must be a US Citizen. The family’s income may not exceed 50% of median income for the Mobile County area. You must meet background screening requirements. Additionally, you cannot participate if you owe money to any housing authority.

What happens once I am approved?

What happens once I am approved? You are invited to a special meeting called a Briefing. At the Briefing, the Section 8 Department explains program rules and regulations. You are told of your rights and responsibilities, as well as how to search for a unit. You are given information to assist your search, such as a form that tells you an estimate of the rent you can afford. Then, at the end of the meeting, you are issued your housing choice voucher.

Where can I live?

Once your family has been issued a housing choice voucher, you can search the private rental market for a unit that is decent, safe and sanitary according to Housing Quality Standards (HQS) established by HUD and Prichard Housing Authority. When you have found a suitable unit and the owner agrees to lease the unit to your family under the program, Prichard Housing Authority will inspect the unit assure suitability. After the unit passes HQS inspection and the rent has been approved, you and the owner enter a lease for an initial term of one year. Prichard Housing Authority and the owner sign a Housing Assistance Payment contract through which the rent is assisted on your behalf. You will be responsible for the monthly payment of difference between the total contract rent and the housing assistance payment.

How long do I have to find a unit?

Once you are approved, you will have sixty days to find a unit. The voucher can be extended by 30 days if there are extenuating circumstances (i.e., illness, hospitalization or other similar emergency).

What is the term of the lease and contract?

Your must sign the lease for one year. After the initial term, the lease is renewed for a specific time period (ex. month-to-month, six months, etc.) You or your landlord may terminate your lease with notice in accordance with your lease.