The Housing Authority of the City of Prichard, Alabama (HACP) came into being under the provisions of the Housing Authorities Act No. 56, approved February 8, 1935 and Act No. 148, approved March 17, 1939, now termed the Code of Alabama of 1940.
Following these provisions, residents filed a petition with the City Clerk, setting forth the need for safe and sanitary housing and a city authority to administer such housing. A public hearing was held January 29, 1940 and the City Council determined that unsanitary and unsafe dwellings did exist and that there was a need for a local housing authority and adopted a resolution so stating. Consequently, creating the Housing Authority of the City of Prichard.
Beginning in the 1990s, HACP developed numerous subdivisions of affordable housing throughout the city. In March 2003 HACP was awarded a $20 million HOPE VI grant that was leveraged to $41 million. With those funds, 360 public housing dwelling units were demolished. Constructed were 115 single-family homeownership units, 50 elderly rental units, 110 multi-family LIHTC rentals and a 13,000-square foot life center.
In February 2010 HACP was awarded a $20 million NSP2 grant. With those funds 78 new residential rental units were constructed, 46 abandoned/foreclosed homes were acquired and rehabilitated and 170 land bank properties were acquired for future development initiatives.
Construction of the HACP Administrative Office located in downtown Prichard was also completed in 2010, culminating the legacy of Charles Pharr, the Executive Director whose vision changed the face of public housing in the City of Prichard. The Board of Commissioners named the Administrative Office Building to honor him at his retirement on December 31, 2014, after 40 years of service.
HACP currently administers 307 units of Public Housing, 2598 Housing Choice Vouchers, more than 400 additional rental units, as well as units developed for homeownership opportunities.